Wherever in the world you choose to pursue your career, a degree from a university in the United Kingdom is internationally respected and considered a quality education. This impression is backed up by the numbers, with the UK producing 14% of the world’s most cited academic papers and 5% of the world’s scientific research. These figures are all the more impressive considering the countries that comprise the United Kingdom are home to just 1% of the world’s population. The UK universities have a reputation for fostering genius across a multiplicity of disciplines, with luminaries such as Ernest Rutherford (the father of nuclear physics) to Oscar Wilde (acclaimed Irish writer and playwright) graduating from notable UK tertiary institutions.
Choosing to study abroad at a UK university has many financial, cultural and social advantages as well. A shorter, more intensive course structure means you’ll be able to fast-track your career and minimise your living costs while you study. The United Kingdom also has a range of programs designed to provide students with discounts and access to cheap public transport and study essentials.
Here are five good reasons for students to consider the UK.
1. The economy The United Kingdom’s economy is huge. In fact, it’s the sixth largest in the world and it has enjoyed steady economic growth until the current world economic downturn. In essence though, businesses are still growing and people are finding work.
2. Education The UK fulfils the criteria for many students’ needs and has some of the best universities in the world, including Cambridge and Oxford.
3. Healthcare Not every country in the world has a solid healthcare system. In fact, very few have a National Health Service (NHS) like the UK. Legal residents in the UK have access to free healthcare. International students can access the NHS upon payment of the International Health Surcharge (IHS).
4. Culture There are few places with such a rich culture as the UK. With its mixed ethnic population and a long and interesting history, it is a fascinating place to explore.
5. The UK is geographically well placed The UK is ideally placed for taking short trips to other countries. Many European destinations can be reached in just a few hours from London, which makes it a great travel hub.
Home to some of the world’s greatest cities and one of the cultural hubs of Europe, there are plenty of reasons to study in the United Kingdom.